Resource list from ICT for Development Learning Network’s August event on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in Development: Experiences from the Field. The event was co-hosted by AED and Appropriate IT. Carmen Tedesco, Program Officer and Geospatial Coordinator at AED, moderated the panel discussion and also contributed to the resource list below.
- Silvia Petrova, Winrock International: GIS for International Development
- Andrew Ross, DAI: Demonstrated a tool that integrated DAI’s data into Google Earth as a layer
- Carrie Stokes, USAID: Geographic Information Systems at USAID and GEO Capacity Building Strategy
- Carmen Tedesco, AED: Small Investments that Yield Big Results: Community YouthMapping
Resources: (not in any particular order)
- Public Participatory GIS (http://www.ppgis.net) has an open e-forum on GIS which is a great resource
- Collaborative spatial information management – bibliographic collections at http://ppgis.iapad.org/bibliography.htm
- Other large-scale community-based mapping programs
- GIS applications
- Making Community Connections: The Orton Family Foundation Community Mapping Program http://books.google.com/books?isbn=1589480716
- FAO’s GeoNetwork http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/
- Google Earth http://earth.google.com/
- Other GIS resource lists
Have other interesting GIS resources? Add it to the list using the comment form below.