Appropriate IT’s Innovation Lab provides applied research and incubator services to pilot innovative solutions, explore emerging technologies, and establish collaborative ventures. Have an idea? Want to partner? Interested in exploring?
Contact us at email@example.com
Imagine cutting-edge technologies like drones, wearable computing, internet of things, big data, and embedded devices serving social sector and changemakers. Our global software development partners can implement emerging technologies with the highest potential for game-changing impact. However, technology only forms a part of the solution.
We have extensive experience implementing techonology solutions in different sectors and countries, particularly in resource-constrained environements. With that as the foundation, we design innovative programs that bring various stakeholders together to create and implement sustainable solutions.
The Lab releases any technology it develops to the open source community so that the entire sector can benefit from and build-upon the original.
Tech innovation to solve social challenges
- Multi-national conglomerates spend millions of dollars in research and development (R&D) to identify new products and markets. For instance, big data and gamification technologies are used by large corporations to shape consumer behavior and promote product sales.
- AI’s Innovation Lab aims to be the R&D lab for non-governmental organizations (NGOs), international development agencies and multi-lateral agencies so that social sector could also utilize these same cutting-edge technologies to shape and promote social change.
- As a mission-driven for-profit social enterprise, the Lab aspires not just to create innovative solutions but also to capture the value that technological advancements have to offer for underserved communities.
Scale Successful Social Change Tech Solutions
- The Lab is equipped with the expertise and resources to explore emerging technologies, pilot innovative solutions, scale successful technologies, and establish collaborative ventures.
- We assist NGOs to prototyping and/or licensing technologies for the purposes of benefitting from commercializing it (and therefore create a new revenue source) while also training their constituent groups in it (and thus teach a marketable skill).
- We help scale successful solutions and assist in bringing them to market by finding collaboration partners and alternate funding sources.
Product Development Lifecycle
Open source crowdsourcing and citizen engagement platform for social accountability & improved governance
Janani enables social accountability and governance programs run by local civil society organizations (CSOs). The platform helps CSOs engage citizens in an effort to solve community problems, improve service delivery, and address systemic issues.
Built on Drupal. Currently in closed beta. Open source distribution to be released on completion of the closed beta. More information and latest news at janani.appropriateit.org.
Youth engagement platform for lifelong learning and social action in a fun and playful environment
Shakthi enables lifelong learning in a fun and playful environment. With a closed social network and built-in gamification, it is ideal for engaging youth and creating communities of purpose.
Built on Wordpress. Currently in closed beta. Available as a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution. More information and latest news at shakthi.appropriateit.org.
Monitoring, reporting, & resolving issues in health care service delivery for anticorruption and transparency in Uganda
Information and communications technology (ICTs) can amplify the voice of citizens and empower them to confront corruption on a much larger scale. Use text messages (SMS) and geo-mapping tools to provide powerful information to policy makers and media.
Citizen Action Platform is a project built on alpha version of Janani and implemented in partnership with Partnership for Transparency Fund (PTF) & Anti-Corruption Coalition of Uganda (ACCU).
Ag tech network for organic & sustainable farming in India
Krishi Janani is an ag tech network (online platform + young women-led rural ag tech centers) that enables organic and sustainable farming in India. It provides farmers localized information, knowledge network and market access as an affordable subscription service.
Krishi Janani is a project built on beta version of Janani. Current partners include Centre for Sustainable Agriculture (CSA) and Senaapathy Kangayam Cattle Research Foundation (SKCRF) in India.
Web & Mobile App Development
Designing and developing open source information & communication technologies for development (ICT4D)
The Lab develops custom, multi-lingual solutions on an open source foundation incorporating technologies such as text messaging and mapping. Ideally, we seek to build innovative solutions that can solve long-standing social issues while also having the potential for cross-functional and cross-sectoral applications.
The Lab has extensive experience working in resource-constrained environments. We specialize in building culturally-appropriate and context-sensitive technology solutions.
Also dabbling in
Big Data, Internet of Things (IoT), Drones/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), Wearable Devices, Artificial Intelligence…
The Lab is currently developing:
- expertise in utilizing social media sentiment analysis, natural language processing, and other big data tools for new insights into social issues such as public health and citizen well-being.
- an unmanned aerial vehicle (drone) in partnership with expert robotic scientists. it has the capability of flying two kilometers with a payload of ten kilograms. it will be utilized in imaging and mapping projects.
- proficiency in using IP-enabled objects, also called Internet of Things (IoT), to send, receive, and convey information.